I decided to create a series of blog posts about simple pleasures we can enjoy during the coronavirus lockdown. The all need to be: A) cheap (or free), B) easy to make at home, C) give you a chance to unwind and relax. Today my first episode about Home DIY Spa with recipes to try out!
1. FINDING PLACE AND TIMEAs long as the world exists, there will be always the ones who prefer bath and the ones who prefer shower. Regardless of which group you belong to, it’s a wonderful way to calm down. It doesn’t matter if your bathroom looks like Cleopatra’s baths – make the most of what you have. The decision you make to dedicate this time yourself is the most important. Don’t be shy about it – tell your partner, roommates that you will need the bathroom for an hour (or as much as you want/can) and you don’t want to get disturbed during that time. If you want music – bring it on, but if you’re using your phone – please silence it for that time. No need for the outer world to notify you of its existence.
2. TURN IT INTO A RITUALThink of what brings you pleasure and try to achieve it with what you already have in your bathroom/house. Think of the order in which you will use them and prepare them at hand – if you go to SPA, you never get a random treatment in the middle of something else. Good preparation will help you enjoy every moment, without stressful running out of the shower, because you forgot the towel from your bedroom. It will also help you make the most of the time you have for yourself – you can shave your legs while having a mask on your hair, or paint your nails when you have a face mask etc. For once women use your wonderful multitasking skills for the sake of no one else but yourselves.
2. MAKE COSMETICSIf you want, plan it ahead of time, then you can even make your home made cosmetics. We’re so used to getting everything at drugstores, when a lot of wonderful beauty ingredients we have at home. And whereas creating your own facial cream is a next level (making sure it’s not going to irritate you, adding preservatives etc), the cosmetics your rinse off are much easier to make and basically error-free. Here are my favorites (names by me ;-):
MERMAID HAIR MASKINGREDIENTS:
- 2 teaspoons of honey
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 table spoon spirulina
- 1 table spoon of your conditioner (for the right texture and easy application)
- 1 table spoon oil of your choice (I use sunflower oil most of the time)
I use the mask around once a month, when I feel that my hair is just not at its best and don’t really know which one of the 3 I am missing.I discovered this mask on a Polish blog about curly hair zakrecovnia.pl
THE GLOW-GETTER SUGAR SCRUBINGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup of brown or cane sugar
- 3-5 table spoons of olive oil
- 1 spoon of lemon juice
COCOLOCO LEAVE-IN HAIR CONDITIONERThis was my first experience with home made cosmetics – I was in Lisbon, without my usual go-to hair cosmetics and decided to experiment a bit. I found this extremely simple recipe on Mommypotamus blog and loved the results. INGREDIENTS:
- ¼ cup distilled water (or tap water that has been boiled for 5 minutes and allowed to cool)
- 1 table spoon coconut milk
- 2 – 10 drops essential oil (optional)